Saturday, January 24, 2015

Soft skin routine

I'm not a pro and I don't want to toot my own horn too hard, but I've got some soft skin. And I've been doing this same routine since my early high school days and I feel like I've got it down to an (imprecise) science. So here is my routine for soft skin!

Steam
I feel like this step is pretty underrated or maybe not even included in most routines, but it is important! This opens your pores, loosens things up and is a great prep for the next steps! Think of it as soaking your dirty dishes so it's easier to scrub off those nasties. Kind of a gross metaphor, but you get it.

How to: Basically, if you're in the shower or taking a bath, you're already completing this step, but just be sure to let your body steam and soak in the water for a few minutes. I usually shampoo and condition my hair, and by then my skin is ready for the next steps.

Exfoliate
Super important! As I'm sure you guys know, exfoliating removes dead skin to reveal smooth fresh skin!

How to: I usually just make my own scrub, but you can of course use one that's store bought. It's actually really easy to make your own scrub. I usually just mix sugar with my shower gel, easy peasy. But I will be making another post dedicated to making your own scrub, so stay tuned!

Shave
This step is of course optional, but basically this whole routine is optional. Do you. My favourite razor is probably the schick intuition, but honesty, I usually just use disposable razors. Like, not even the fancy ones. I think what's important is using a new (or relatively new) razor. And if you're being careful and taking your time, I don't feel like the type of razor really matters. I know we've probably all been shaving since way back when, but here are a few tips: Shave in the opposite direction the hair grows (so that could mean shaving in like, 6 different directions) and it helps to shave the same area multiple times (unless your skin is sensitive to razor burn), to be sure to get all that hair.

Moisturize
Another key step! Exfoliating and moisturizing are the two main things you gotta do. I moisturize everywhere everyday. I get out of the shower, towel dry myself, apply lotion all over while I'm still in the steamy bathroom and stay there while it absorbs. This may sound like a lot, but really, it's only an extra few minutes and it makes such a difference! My all-time favourite body lotions are the St. Ives ones. They're light and absorb quickly, are really moisturizing and don't have a strong scent. But I would recommend a body butter if you have really dry skin.

Maintenance
Ideally I would do this routine 2-3 times a week, but I usually do it once a week or once every week and a half. But whenever I do this routine my skin is sooo soft and it's soo nice!

Note:
If you have any problem areas, treat them with care. If you have some bacne going on you probably don't want to be using a super oily scrub there (so I'd use the same scrub I use on my face for those areas). Also, some areas (like ankles, knees) could use some extra scrubbie time, while other areas (maybe chest area, or upper thighs) could be more sensitive, so treat those areas with care!

I hope this post helped and I hope it wasn't all just stuff you already know. I think what's really important is upkeep. Even just moisturizing everyday after the shower and staying in the steamy bathroom for a few minutes can make a huge difference.

Thanks for reading and check back soon for my post on making your own body scrub!

No comments:

Post a Comment